Friday, May 2, 2008

Our Day in Denver

After cruising into Salida, we had a 109 mile into Pueblo the next day. This picture is from the tripod we made with our bikes, and if you look closely, in the background are the last snow capped peaks we will be seeing on the trip.

From there we loaded the bikes and drove up to Denver for our Global Health event on Wednesday. We were all pretty tired when we arrived at the assisted living center where we were staying for two nights. Fortunately, they had prepared chicken parmesan, salad and breadsticks for us. After three helpings, I decided to lay down for awhile before a night out in Denver.

We went to the Funky Buddha because it was close by and had some outdoor seating. It was Tuesday so there weren't too many people out, but we turned it into our bar and had a relaxing evening.

The next day we had a combined event with University of Colorado medical students at the Health Sciences Center. We did a ceremonial ride in and were treated to a Chipotle lunch. I realized at that time how much I had missed my chicken burritos with black beans. I had been eating the 'pote at least 2 times per week and had gone into some serious withdrawal after 4 weeks and nearly 1500 miles of riding sans burrito. I added some guac and salsa, and focused on nothing else except the deliciousness of the burrito for the next 2 minutes. Hopefully, we will be able to find some more chipotle before the ride ends, otherwise I may not make it.

The event went well overall. The last speaker was the most inspiring as she talked and showed a film about here obstetrical work in rural Peru.

Afterward, we went to the Handlebar Grill. This place was probably one of the coolest bars I have been to. It was decorated in cycling memorabilia included bike parts, jerseys, and signed pictures and posters. I heard Lance had been there just the night before. I was fortunate enough to meet up with Adam Loveland from my Swim and Racquet yard dog and Miami days. We were able to catch up over a few microbrews and enjoy the Handlebar. It sounds like he's living the life in Denver. Play on player.

No comments: